Friday, June 3, 2011

Oldies but goodies

It happened. Just the other day, I was driving down the road, hit the search button on the radio and it stopped on an oldies but goodies station. Steve Miller Band blared from the speakers. “Fly like an eagle…” and I was jamming. My radio is usually set to the country station. If you’ve read my blog, you know I can’t get enough of Brad, Kenny, Martina, Faith, or Tim, to name a few. On this particular day I was in the mood for change. (Even though we’re old we still like the occasional change up). So, I’m listening. They are all there. Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Dan Fogelberg, John Denver and the Beach Boys. I sing along. I know every word and each one takes me back to a special time.

The Beach Boys came to the Ohio State Fair my junior year in High School and we all went to see them. Floral shirts dotted the stadium as we sang along and danced the night away. Dan Fogelberg did an acoustic tour my freshman year in college at an outdoor venue where we sipped wine under the stars and munched on cheese and crackers.

My husband was into the louder venues. These were the bands that played the huge auditoriums. People pressed in so tightly that when one person jumped up they took the people on either side along for the ride. The Doobie Brothers, Boston, Journey, and other ear splitting bands all played accompanied by the sweet smelling smoke that filled our lungs and saturated our clothing.

On this day, as I drove around with the windows down and the “oldies” music blaring, I was taken back to that simpler time. And when I pulled up to a light and got an angry look from the “older” people in the car next to me, I just smiled and waved. Because for that moment I was seventeen and kicking back, just enjoying some tunes.

I guess I am an oldie but a goodie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment